Family Strengthening Program Our counselors provide intensive in-home services -counseling and case management – to strengthen family relationships, improve communication, increase parent’s confidence and competence in their parenting abilities and help participants achieve success. Issues addressed include, but are not limited to, family conflict and stress; behavioral management problems; adolescent concerns; co-parenting; grief and loss; adjustment difficulties; and economic hardships.
Staff is available by phone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to respond to family emergencies. Services maybe provided for up to 1 year per family. Appointments are conveniently set around the families’ schedule. In-home sessions last from 1-2 hours and Counselors work with all family members to maximize the effectiveness of treatment.
The Philosophy of Nurturing Parenting:
The Nurturing Parenting Program (NPP), a best practice model, emphasizes the importance of raising children in a warm, trusting, and caring household. It is founded on the belief that children who are cared for develop the capacity to trust, care, and respect themselves, other people and living things, and the environment. These are the seven principles of NPP:
- Feelings of Attachment – Bond between parents and children.. unconditional love leads to communication, trust and respect.
- Empathy – Parents’ ability to put themselves in their children’s place… leads them to respond to children in a loving and respectful way.
- Nurturing Oneself – Adults who take care of themselves can take better care of their children.
- Gentle Touch – Children who receive hugs, pats and massages develop a positive sense of self and healthy relationships.
- Discipline – Setting limits through rules, teaching right from wrong… not imposed or beaten into children… but modeled by parents.
- Expressing Feelings – Appropriate ways to manage and express feelings… for adults and children… are characteristics of a nurturing family.
- Expectations and Self-Worth – When parents have appropriate expectations of their children as they develop, their children’s self-worth increases.
Eligibility for the Program:
The family must:
Reside in Broward County
Have children between 0-17 years old living in the home
Have an active and participating parent/guardian
Families must demonstrate at least three of fourteen risk factors (as indicated on the Referral Form) For more information, to set up an appointment, or for a referral form, Contact: Administrative Assistant at (954) 252-3072 ext. 203 Fax Referral Form to (954) 252-0738